Sunday, December 12, 2004

The apartment

Picture a room, an entirely white room.

A white couch in the corner, a glass table, shelves built in the wall. A large picture on the wall. A white living room in a white apartment on the top of an old building in a nameless city of no geographical location...

The apartment is my safe place. In the beginning there was light, out of the light i created this space and a place to dwell. Slowly, one detail at a time I created this place, designing each and every detail, slowly, carefully, lingering on every object as if breathing life to it, before giving it its own place. A fresh coat of paint, white on white, the very few pieces of furniture, that single painting on the wall. Every object placed for a sole purpose to enhance the space, the vast, unlimited space to be filled with whatever I choose to bring into it.


I moved into that space. Slowly first, a few minutes every day, to simply lay down on the floor, eyes wide open, drinking in the light and whiteness, feeling the touch of solitude against my skin, soothing, warm, filling me with peace and tranquility... I started coming here more and more often, each time reluctant to leave, spending hours, then days surrounded by this whiteness, this silence and peace...

Here in this room I am happy. Alone and at peace with myself. This room, in the white apartment, in a building on a nameless street in a nameless city that has no place on the map...

No comments: